MAJOR DEPRESSION / BIPOLAR TREATMENT GROUP
Purpose: The purpose of this group is to provide a safe, confidential environment in which individuals suffering with Major Depressive Disorder and Bipolar Disorder can receive group psychotherapy to aid in healing the emotional, psychological, relational and spiritual problems associated with these disorders.
Format: This group will be ongoing and meet on a weekly basis. consecutive sessions. The group will be psycho-educational and process-oriented in nature focusing on the following topics:
- Defining and understanding Major Depression and Bipolar from a physiological / medical perspective
- Understanding depression or depressed mood from a psychological perspective
- Understanding how medications treat these disorders
- Understanding human needs and developing healthy strategies for meeting those needs
- Understanding emotions and developing healthy effective ways of managing emotions
- Understanding how other biological factors and substance abuse effect depression and bipolar disorder
- Understanding the cognitive process and learning to change destructive thought patterns and irrational beliefs
- Developing healthy, effective, non-threatening communication skills and stress management strategies
- Developing social awareness and social skills
- Understanding how depression /bipolar affects relationships
Day & Time: Wednesday 2:00 – 3:30 P.M.
Population: Anyone who has been diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder or Bipolar Disorder and wants help
Location: Medical and Counseling Associates, Inc. / MCA Network,
1503 Santa Rosa Road, Suite 211, Richmond, VA 23229
Leadership: John H. Hamlett, M.Ed., M.Div., Licensed Professional Counselor
Eligibility: Each potential member must be pre-screened (1 – 4 sessions) prior to joining the group.
Fee: $60.00 per group session. Health insurance may cover a portion of the cost.
Contact: John Hamlett at (804) 282-9100, email@example.com